Zoned Out (new series): Blue eyes


"Is that your mother in the photo?" said C2
-"yeah, she is."
C2 walked closer to photo hanging in the wall. "Oh my God, she looks so beautiful!"
"Thanks," said Mundi. C2's observation seemed to gratify him.
C2 called me and pointed to the photo.
I said, "Is that Mundi's mom? Cool"
-"isn't she pretty? I mean, look at those beautiful blue eyes!"
"meh…" and rolled my eyes as if to say "whatever!"
C2 was somewhat upset over my reaction, but she didn't say anything. I don't know if Mundi noticed either of us.
C2 and I are good friends and roommates. Mundi drove us to our building. C2 remained quite as we took the elevator and walked to our apartment; something's coming up for discussion.
“What the hell is wrong with you?” asked C2.
"What happened?"
-"didn't you think your reaction was completely uncalled for? Why did you have to be such an asshole to Mundi?"
"What the fuck are you talking about? It was your comment that was completely uncalled for!"
-"what was so wrong about saying Mundi's mother was beautiful?"
"Ok, let me break it down for you. You made a completely gratuitous aesthetic judgment and you expressed it out in the open too. She is Mundi's dead mother, how the hell does it matter to anyone that she was supposedly beautiful?"
-"not even to Mundi?" interrupted C2 quite angrily
"No wait, please let me finish. This is what you seem to assume: it's perfectly alright to say that someone is beautiful, especially if it's a dead person. You assume that those who are related to the said person will be pleased"
-"oh, you're such a genius for figuring that out. So much for 'deconstruction'"
"Wait, wait, I'm not done yet. While you may be right in your assumption, what you said is still problematic. First, let me get the cliché out of the way. She looked beautiful to you, why should others or I agree? Second: you are talking about Mundi's mother. Why should he be pleased that his mother was beautiful? Is he going to get any more closer to his dead mother because a member of his society thinks she is beautiful? I mean, if you really wanted to make him happy, you should have said his d…"
-"that is so sexist!"
"Well, you are his girl friend. He wouldn't mind that kind of appreciation. Being a 'manly man' as he is, he would have loved it for you to go public about his penis. If you think that ..."
-"will you cut down on the rambling and make your point?"
"What do you mean? I think I've made my point abundantly clear. You just lapped up the bullshit practice of saying that people are beautiful when it doesn't and shouldn't matter the least bit and I refused to participate in that charade. And what's with these ‘blue eyes’, long hair crap? Anyone can get a pair of cheap contacts and make their eyes look blue, purple or whatever"
-"but they are not natural!"
"Yeah, racially natural and naturally racist! When did we start caring about 'natural' shit anyway? Give me a minute...you see this cow? That's what natural means in 2009. Which era's 'natural' are you talking about?"

Disclaimer: All conversations and characters (including mine) in the Zoned Out series are and probably will be fictional. Characters may appear too self-righteous, intelligent, vevaram, one-dimensional etc., and their conversations exaggerated.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

dude, that was hilarious

Anonymous said...

Did you write it?

Suresh ET said...

Is that a rhetorical question?

Anonymous said...

It seems very quickly written, that's all. I've just come to expect high-class writing from you.
Also, you agree with those exaggerated opinions? Especially the ones that compare the artificial coloured lenses with natural ones and mentions today's hybrid cow as an example supporting his contempt for the admiration of 'naturally' blue eyes?

Suresh ET said...

Sudhir,

This is not "proper fiction", this series puts ideas ahead of style and format. I thought of going
He:
She:
He:
like a chat transcript. It seemed to give little or no space for contextualizing the conversation. Hence the next best thing, I thought. It's like a cartoon strip conversation, only stretched a bit.

The exchange is based on real conversations, maybe not on the exact topic. It's quite "authentic" too, in that sense. So I completely disagree with your assessment (it could be bad, but I would consider it on par with other 'decent' post I've published here). This question of 'class' would not have risen had I said it was a real conversation, would it have?

As for content, obviously I agree with what Suresh says. I'm surprised that you completely missed the point. I wish you read it a few times more before we discussed it. I'll just say that the idea expressed is airtight.

Anonymous said...

I'll mail you, I think.

Post a Comment

 
©2009 english-tamil